Dennis Collins writes:

I have a 17th-century piece for three instruments and basso continuo where the continuo part actually doubles whatever happens to be the lowest of the three parts. Which means there are quite a few clef changes when it switches from a treble instrument to a bass instrument. Quite often, this change happens after the first of four 8th notes. I'm wondering if it would be better to leave the four notes beamed together, or to break the beam after the first note at the clef change (where the doubled instrument changes). I'd be happy to have your opinions.

Dear Dennis,

IMHO, If I were playing from a single-line continuo part with figures, I think I would prefer to keep the 4 notes beamed together. In addition, unless it involved many ledger lines, I would prefer most of the part to appear in the bass clef.

If you plan to include a written-out realization of the continuo part, you might possibly want to put the higher notes up into the treble clef (right-hand part). Either a flag and three eighths beamed or 4 eighths beamed would be OK by me.

Hal
--
Harold Owen
2830 Emerald St., Eugene, OR 97403