On 1 Jun 2004 at 16:42, Mark D Lew wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2004, at 2:42 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > In the abstract, I just don't think there's any way to make any such
> > determination with any certainty.
>
> Yes, but Johannes is not evaluating in the abstract.  He's evaluating
> based on comparison with similar markings in a large sample of other
> scores of the same era.

But that does not mean that we absolutely know that Dennis's source
is part of the same tradition -- Johannes may be drawing on practices
in a repertory that are wholly irrelevant.

And even in the repertory he's speaking of, it's still a contingent
determination -- you look at the general practice, and then determine
if that applies to the source at hand.