At 01:37 PM 06/24/2004, Neal Schermerhorn wrote:
>play the written notes the second time only. Normally marked in a jazz chart
>as "2xo" or something. Clearly, the notation is trivial, but can Finale
>execute this in playback? How could one go about setting that up?

One way to do this is with two expressions at the beginning of the passage, defined for playback. The first expression sets Key Velocity to 0, and is set to Play Only on Pass 1. The second expression sets Key Velocity to an appropriate level, Play Only on Pass 2. One of these expressions could be your "2xo" or whatever and the other one a non-printing expression (i.e., hidden text) -- or they could both be non-printing, alongside your "2xo".

Peter Taylor kindly sent me a small file illustrating this, which I can email directly to you if you like.

Aaron.