On Thursday, Jul 8, 2004, at 01:49 America/Vancouver, Dennis W. Manasco wrote:

Isn't anyone else concerned about the privacy violation implicit in letting google's robots paw through a gigabyte of their mail, everything from list subscriptions to personal mail to order receipts, in order to 'categorize the user' for google's advertisers?

Sure, any ISP could do this on a running basis, but hopefully it's logistically complicated enough that most of them won't try to add enough redundant storage to make it economical; nor start selling advertising based on the results.

But google's whole philosophy seems to be that this huge aggregation of personal (and often private) information should serve as a data-mine for their advertisers. I don't know what google's current privacy statement says, but we know that web agreements can change daily.

I currently have about 132MB of archived mail in my folders, dating from when I adopted Eudora as my mail client in the mid ninety's, and have probably deleted tens of times as many MB over those years.

The idea of some advertiser-driven company analyzing all of that information about my interests and contacts makes me feel absolutely creepy.

Suckers born every minute. Just for laughs, send some posts to a gmail account with Arabic translation of "suitcase nuke delivery to Fort Meade confirmed for Sep 11" with a 50 Meg blowfish encrypted attachment of garbage bytes.

Philip Aker http://www.aker.ca