On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 13:18:44 -0400, Christopher BJ Smith
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 10:25 AM -0400 7/09/04, Raymond Horton wrote:
> > > 4) Finale's quantization routine (as most quantization routines are) is
> >>  very strict -- if you set it to recognize nothing smaller than 16th
> >>  notes, that's what you'll get, even if the organist plays a 32nd-note
> >>  run.  On the other hand, if you set it to recognize 32nd notes, it may
> >>  well interpret 8ths as dotted-16th-note/32nd-rest combinations if the
> >>  organist plays staccato.
> >
> >The best solution for different rhythmic passages like this is can be to
> >quantize the piece more than once, as separate files, and copy and paste
> >from each.
>
> it IS possible to re-quantise after everything is entered, and by
> section, with different settings for each passage as you wish.

But this only works for full measures. If it's important to have
Finale do the transcription, and measures are sufficiently varied
(such as one containing both a grace note and a quintuplet, as in a
piece I recently engraved that started as a MIDI file from the
composer), you might want to quantize it in different ways in separate
copies. This can be done with either separate files or merely separate
staves, and then you can copy partial measures into the original
measure.

Though this is possible, I don't use this method. In the project I
described, I just quantized it to take care of the quintuplet and then
manually created the grace note. It might be quicker for some to try
out the quantize-multiple-copies method, though.

--
Brad Beyenhof
[EMAIL PROTECTED]