It certainly _is_ a good idea to backup your internal hard drive and keep a copy off-site. I back up (using Dantz's Retrospect Desktop) to two different sets of DVD-RAM disks (2.6 GB per side) and keep one set in a safe deposit box (which costs maybe $25 per year). I also backup to an external FireWire hard drive. I rotate the DVD-RAM sets every week or two.

If you want an even more convenient backup scheme, you could try a WiebeTech BayDock 400 or 800 with two cheap ATA hard drives:
<http://www.macsonly.com/arch00404.html#261>
<http://www.wiebetech.com/products/baydock.html>
<http://www.wiebetech.com/products/Baydock800.html>

If I understand the product correctly, these are just FireWire enclosures. If the drive dies, or you just want to replace it, you just pop it out of the tray and pop in another drive.

BTW, if you have a newer PowerMac with FireWire 800 ports, you need to be aware of a problem with using certain FireWire hard drives under Panther:

<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120288>.

Paul Hayden

--
Magnolia Music Press      <http://www.paulhayden.com>