On 10 Aug 2004, at 03:17 PM, Brad Beyenhof wrote:

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:06:16 -0700, JD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

When I try to access the User Manual, Finale gives me a warning that it
can't open said file.
[snip]
Any thoughts?

What happens when you double-click a .pdf file? The handler may not be set up properly. Get Info on a PDF, go to "Open With," choose your favorite PDF reader (Adobe/Acrobat Reader, or you can use Preview in 10.3+), and click "Change All" then "Yes."

If the operating system knows how to open a PDF, it should open it
automatically when choosing a Manual file from the menu.

Yeah, but it doesn't. OS X's default PDF reader is Apple's Preview (which is much better than Acrobat Reader in almost every single respect). However, there is a bug in Fin2K4 that prevents the online documentation from opening from the Finale help menu if your default PDF reader is not Adobe Reader.

There is another problem with the formatting in Finale's Index file, which is that the page number links (e.g, "Page Layout Tool 35-1") aren't active when the document is viewed in Preview.

So, the upshot is, you have to use Adobe Reader for all of Finale's documentation: Go to Applications -> Finale 2004c -> User Manual, select all of the PDF documents (first hit cmd-A to select all, then cmd-click to deselect anything that isn't a PDF file), hit cmd-I to bring up the "Get Info" window, click the triangle on the "Open with" tab (to expand that section), and select "Adobe Reader" from the pop-up menu.

(You can also select just one PDF, get info on that, and choose "Change All," but that will make Adobe Reader the default app for all PDFs, and Adobe Reader (as of version 6.0) is unbelievably terrible so I don't recommend that.)

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY