Hello

I'm working on a series of publications including instruments such as
xylophones, metallophones, bass & contrabass resonator bars,
glockenspiels. These kind of instruments are better known as Orff-
Instruments and are not only used for kids nursery rhymes, but, in a
larger and more complex way, there are very sensational musical works for
Orff orchestra (you can see more at <http://www.studio49.de/>).
These publications are to be ready on September 2004. For a matter of
accuracy, I would like to know what the standard is regarding pitch
notation for these instruments, knowing them as transposing instruments,
especially referring to bass and counter-bass instruments. For example:
the soprano diatonic xylophone's range is c2-a3 (Helmholtz System) - (C5-
A6 where C4 is middle C) but it's written an octave lower positioning the
first instrument's  C bar on middle C, making it a transposimg
instrument. The alto xylophone's range is c1-a2, so it not should be
written as a transposing instrument, just using the G clef. The bass
xylophone's range is  c-a1 (C3-A4), and here's my first concern: I've
seen parts for this instrument written in bass clef (as a non transposing
instrument) and in G clef (making it one octave lower transposing
instrument). I have same concern for bass resonator bars (same as bass
xylophone's range) and contrabass resonator bass (an octave lower): So,
if there is a standard regarding the use or not on writing pitches for
these (lower) instruments, I would really appreciate to know about. I
have written to Orff Society and Studio 49 but had no feedback. Does
anybody knows something further  more?

Thank you
Giovanni Andreani