On Sep 6, 2004, at 4:05 AM, themark wrote:

I wonder if someone has investigated and found out which notation software and fonts were used to make those wonderfully written New Real Books from Sher company.

I would guess Finale and a mix of fonts (Sigler's swing) or even a custom made set of fonts made for Sher engravers?

Who knows more please drop a line.

Thank you
Marcello

I talked to a guy at the Sher Music booth at the International Association for Jazz Education conference to ask him that very question, and he smiled and said "Proprietary fonts. We spent a lot of time, effort and money to create those fonts, and we aren't going to make them available." Dang.

Incidentally, the music and chords in the first volume were hand copied (not the lyrics or titles, obviously.) I was incredulous, as the hand is amazingly consistent, but the later volumes used fonts created by the copyist in a notation program (I think it was Finale.) Just to show that no quantity of special fonts substitutes for a keen eye in the field of music preparation.

Christopher