Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

At 12:29 PM 9/7/04 -0700, Brad Beyenhof wrote:

There seems to be a clear way of notating any possible outcome;
perhaps this method is not held to very widely among composers? Or if
it is, is it possible that string players themselves are not
well-versed with the convention?

If my recent piece is any guide, they will change it from double-stops to
divisi or divisi to double-stops anyway, just to be perverse.

Dennis

Yes they will - a pet peeve of mine is string players' belief that they can overrule a composer's explicit indications at will. Quite how somebody interprets "sul G" as "sul G until you don't like it very much, or until you get above 4th position, and then do whatever you want" is beyond me.