Mmm... My favourite subject!

It is possible at least in a Mac with Finale 2004.

[Relax, take a deep breath]

What we have to do is to send a Registered Parameter Number (RPN) for
adjusting the fine tuning and then send data entry values to adjust the real
value of the tuning... Easy!

Now with the practice:

You have to create two expressions (Expressions Tool):

1) Create one and call it "RPN1"

In playback set DUMP

And then write the following hexadecimal values

Units= 3
$B0 (be, zero)
$65
$00

Press ok twice to close the DUMP window (yes it´s a bug!)
Ok to finish

2) Create another expression and call it "RPN2"

In playback set DUMP

And then write the following values

Units= 3
$B0 (that¹s be, zero)
$64
$01

Press ok (twice to close the DUMP window, yes it´s a bug)
Ok to finish

Now we are ready to place these expressions in a test score and try the
different DATA ENTRY values. Place two dummy quarter note rests and add the
two expressions we just created, one in each rest (place RPN1 first). Then
add a whole note A4 with a flute sound, for example. Copy the bar once.

We are going to add DATA ENTRY values to this second A, and see what
happens. Go to MIDI tool, select the second bar and in the MIDI tool menu
select Continuous Data... Click Controller and in the pop-up menu choose
Data entry.
Now you are ready to assign different values. Click in the MIDI tool menu
Set To... and type 32 for example.

When you playback the file you´ll hear a drop in pitch.

Now it´s up to you to experiment: the value of 63 or 64 is more or less 440
hz.

If you want I can send you an example file of this.

Hope it helps!

Javier Ruiz