On 9 Sep 2004 at 18:21, Martin Banner wrote:

> Someone at work today mentioned they had read recently that a Germany
> library containing numerous original music manuscripts had sustained a
> serious fire. Unfortunately, my source did not recall where that fire
> was. Would anyone happen to know any more information about this?

See http://www.anna-amalia-bibliothek.de/.

The link to the English version is in the upper right.

This is truly a huge disaster, though it's unclear exactly how many
musical documents were lost. But from the pictures there, it's clear
that musical documents were among those that were lost, if not
exactly what was lost.