Hi All:

How do I put a tie end at the beginning of a line when the key signature changes.
I know that you can put a tie end in place by clicking on a note with option. It gives you a large number of options, one of which is "tie end". I can't get it to work with a key change.
I am using FinMac 2005 with OS 10.

Thanks;

Bob Florence

In some cases the problem may be with the way finale handles the actual key change rather than the ties themselves. I have noticed that sometimes the note after the key change where the tie end should be, for whatever reason, ends up being a different note than what you think it is.

For instance, if you are in the key of G and you have a C natural tied over to the next bar where the key change is, and you are going to the key of D, the C where the tie end should be ends up being a C sharp rather than a C natural. Finale sees a C going to a C# and knows that there shouldn't be a tie between different notes. It will allow the tie beginning but not the tie end. So if you are in scroll view, or if the key change is on the same system, you may not notice anything is wrong because the tie beginning looks like it is a complete tie. In this case, if you lower the the tie end note by a 1/2 step back to a C natural the tie should show up again.

If you ever encounter this, make sure to double check any other parts that you have cut and pasted to or from. There can be other stealth mistakes that are easy to overlook. I have had ties end up looking like slurs to another note a half step away after parts are extracted and/or transposed.

Take care,

Karen