On Sep 29, 2004, at 6:24 AM, John Howell wrote:

As always, quick and helpful replies. But I'm struck by how set we get in our ways. Why "should" it be in 6/8? Why is it "odd" to read it in 6/4. Of course I do a lot of early music, and one has to get used to interpreting notes that look big and slow as being sprightly and fast, but learning to read it is just no big deal.

But sometimes you just want the musicians to play it well without any additional learning required, no matter how small it seems to you.

It makes sense to write music in a way that is most familiar to the musicians who will be playing it. If the original poster's decision to change the time signature is based on what is comfortable for those musicians, as opposed to his own personal preference, then it's a good decision.

mdl