I vagulely remember trying out some free PDF creator a while back, which didn't embed fonts correctly - and the bass clef sign appeared for noteheads. I didn't pursue it further, so maybe I'm just confusing things, but I say this because this was on Windows, so it perhaps isn't a platform-crossing issue.

Noel Stoutenburg wrote:

Andrew Stiller wrote:

A piece being edited for me by a Windows person has all kinds of exotic notehead shapes in it, which are appearing incorrectly on my system. For example, noteheads that are supposed to be X-shaped are coming out as bass clef signs instead. This happens regardless of the default font.

One possibility is that he's using a music font with the characters assigned to different character spaces than the font you're using. There is a music symbol font in the Corel Wordperfect distribuition, which has some characters mapped to different assignments than Maestro, though on a glance, the X notehead and the bass clef do not appear to be mapped to the same space in those two.