This is rather late -- I posted my question, then was unable to get back to
the computer and the list for a good couple of weeks -- but I just wanted to
publicly acknowledge and thank those who were able to reply to my printer
question.  Differing viewpoints, as always, and lots of food for thought.
I'm still not sure what the final decision will be, but I at least have a
bit more information and actual user's experiences to go on.  Thanks again.

-- Mike