Mark D Lew wrote:
On Oct 8, 2004, at 1:48 PM, Brad Beyenhof wrote:

It seems he's not. This is taken from the page he linked to in his announcement:

These source code files are released as "open source" and can be
compiled to a Finale(TM) plug-in, with the following
remarks/limitations:

* This source code is copyright (c) Jari Williamsson, 1999-2004.
* You may NOT sell any part of this source code.
* If you compile this source to a binary, you may NOT sell that binary.
* You may use individual routines from this source in your own
projects, as long as your project substantialy differs from the
intentions of this source code.
* You may NOT use the whole plug-in as a part of your own projects.
* You may modify/enhance the code to introduce new features. If
you do so, you should publicaly release the source.

The way I read these restrictions, it wouldn't preclude the possibility of paying someone to do the conversion, so long as the resulting binary is not sold.

That is, someone might announce, "I'm willing to use my Mac OS X compiler to convert Jari's open source code to create a version of JW plug-ins that will work on Mac. It would be about two hours of work which I'd charge at $20/hr, so if someone pays me $40 I'll do the work." [*] Then if a group of users interested in having the Mac version available pool their money to come up with that $40, the guy would do the conversion and release the Mac version which would then be free to everyone just like Jari stipulates.

By my reading, that would be consistent with the letter of the law and Jari's restrictions. I believe it's also consistent with the spirit, but if not, Jari can let us know.

mdl (IANAL))

[*] I'm totally making up these figures for time and money. I have no idea how easy or difficult it is to do port the code to Mac.

bettery yet: have the code lodged in a repository (like SourceForge) where it can be worked on and the eager Mac users could simply hire someone to contribute to the development of the code. This helps keep the code open, encourages whoever contributes to have their code viewable for comment/suggestions (and the people paying the bill will have the benefit of others seeing what they are paying for), and inspires others to come on board and develop.

I think the model of private moneys financing parts of open source projects is going to become more and more in vogue and perhaps smaller contributors (rather than large corporations) can help promote development.

Bravo, Jari, for doing this. (I'm not a Mac user, but applaud people who have the wisdom to weave open source into their development plan.)

--

John Poole

Editions Poole
http://www.editionspoole.com