http://www.personal.kent.edu/~blukens/viewoptions.html

http://www.osxfaq.com/dailytips/04-2002/04-30.ws

These two are good links I think....the second one is probably the quickest way to solve the problem but I'd rather not post how to log in as root on the list as doing so and then doing something wrong can be a major problem. But if anyone wants to know how and is willing to proceed AT THEIR OWN RISK, you can e-mail me off list and I'll tell you how to log in and out as a root user without going through the command line (terminal)

Regarding this first link. Editing a plist is a rather benign thing that you can actually fool around with if you want to. The worst case scenario is that you mess up the plist and have to throw it away in which case a new one will be recreated automatically with default settings...plist files are preferences.

You can also throw away DS_Store files. There are two ways to to this. You can do a search for the files..command F...Criteria 1 is name contains .ds Criteria 2 is Visibility is invisible files...You can then throw these files away once you know which one you want to throw away.

A CAVEAT...don't do searches for invisible files unless you know what you are doing and why you are doing it. You can also mess up your machine throwing away the wrong invisible file. But getting rid of DS_Store files is O.K.

Finally, there is a program called cocktail that is basically a GUI for command line (terminal) commands. It is more sophisticated than the OS X GUI itself but easier than logging into the terminal:

<http://www.macosxcocktail.com/>

You can also get rid of DS_Store files using this program. I use this program all the time to initiate system maintenence, cache cleaning, permission repairing etc. One can run it in pilot mode safely without having a lot of computer experience too. I believe it costs around $12.00 US

(P.S. This is not my program and I don't get any monetary benefit from suggesting it...I just really like it!)

Take care,

Karen

--
Karen Guthery