Well, I seemed to have fixed it. In MIDI Setup | SoftSynth Settings, I changed Output Source from Primary Sound Driver to Aureal Audio (which is my actual sound card). Now all works fine. I can reproduce the latency by switching back to Primary Sound Driver.

Interestingly, my laptop is also running DirectX 9.0c, but with WinXP and a different sound card. It doesn't matter there whether I choose Primary Sound Driver or the actual card.

I'll report this to WinSupport in case they find it interesting.

Aaron.