On Oct 30, 2004, at 10:47 AM, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

At 09:27 AM 10/30/04 -0400, you wrote:
But what problems have you had related to powerstrips with switches?

I don't use them, and there's no theoretical issue.

But I've restored numerous computers that have had problems when users
knock them or step on them when their machines are running -- it doesn't
take much of a jolt to cause those cheap little switches or circuit
breakers on power switches to cause power drops and subsequent spikes.

Computer power supplies are supposed to smooth out spikes, but not drops.
Most folks who use them also have printers, monitors, etc., plugged in,
generating a much bigger drop/spike effect. It might not even look like
anything for a while, but the damage has been done.

Dennis

I used to have a medium-sized MIDI studio, with synths, modules, amps, mixer, outboard processors, recorders, all plugged into the same circuit (wired for higher capacity by my electrician, as it causes grounding problems when connected devices are plugged into different circuits.) I used to have at least two or three power-supply related breakdowns a year, and frequent computer crashes (to be fair, some of those crashes may have been caused by my system configuration and app conflicts). Since I shelled out the relatively few bucks that it took to buy a full-fledged power conditioner with multiple outlets, I have had not one power supply go bad in seven years, and the frequency of my computer crashes took a dramatic downturn immediately.

I have one of the ones that can compensate for sags as well as for spikes, and they claim that they can stop any spike but a near-by lightning strike. Where I live there are a lot of power fluctuations, and my TV and phone answering device were fried by a lightning storm once. but all my electronics that were plugged into the power conditioner were spared.

I highly recommend them. Mine is made by Furman, though I know many reputable companies that make equivelant devices.

Christopher

Oh yes, I used to regularly kick or jostle my powerstrips by accident, and often switched them off at the most inopportune times. I put cable ties on the switches to prevent that. Switching a power strip on when there are many devices plugged in with their power on can cause destructive surges. If you have to switch on a power strip, make sure the devices are switched OFF first.