Here in Hawaii we once had the power go down because a lizard fried itself
in a switchbox. Not quite squirrels, but they do the trick. We also have a
fair number of drivers who are not much smarter than squirrels. Not to
mention the construction company that plowed a back hoe into some
underground power cables that left us with out phone or power for about a day.

As far as the $30.00 model, I found it at CompUSA, and it was the bottom of
the line UPS from APC, a quite reputable manufacturer of power
conditioners. Actually, I only use that UPS for my TV, stereo, phone
answering machine, etc although it would work serviceably for a computer if
you have the discipline to shut down at the first site of trouble. This
model will probably see you through the minor nusiance brownouts and short
(less than 10 minutes) power flickers.

However, if you're like me and like to take your time to finish what you're
doing, you may want to get a more powerful UPS. I have a $150 model on my
own PC that I use at home. At work, I'm connected into the server UPS
(since I'm the system admin) but I still shut down at the first sign of
trouble.

I've seen UPS equipment also in rack-mount (APC and Furman) that could
protect your electronic rack equipment (sound modules, reverb, etc).
Considering the cost of replacing that kind of equipment, I would also
consider getting at the very least a surge protector for any rack equipment.

<snip>