Andrew Stiller wrote:

There is another (and IMO superior) way to handle this kind of situation however, and that is to number each performed measure rather than each written one. In that method, if the first eight measures are repeated, the first measure after the repeat is m. 17, not m. 9. This is an admittedly rare approach, but I have seen it in published material more than a few times.

This is what I would use, if there were any possible conflicts regarding first/second-time endings etc. Anything that has the potential to cause confusion in rehearsal must surely be considered a Bad Thing?