Dear Darcy,

Yeah - it's sort of limited, but I did have a friend here set up a balanced instrument file template which I used for a while in earlier versions. It worked alright in changing the Finale default instrument balances, which are not always correct (the piano is usually too loud in relation to other instruments). I don't remember the details of how this was done, but perhaps it was saved as an instrument library. If you like, I can call my friend and ask, or perhaps others will have an idea of how this was accomplished.

I use playback a lot to check pitches and rhythms, but I don't count on it for balances or timbre issues.

I am waiting for the jazz instruments to be included in the GPO package (Gary suggested a delivery date of March), then I will buy it and try it out. I am encouraged by Gary's proximity. He is on Orcas Island, which I can see from our living room window. It's nice to think that support will be physically, as well as electronically, close at hand. (An irrational sentiment, but real nonetheless.)

Cheers,

Chuck