On Dec 30, 2004, at 6:06 AM, Jari Williamsson wrote:

Christopher Smith wrote:

whereas some others like John Williams hand over highly detailed 6-staff sketches, leaving the orchestrator with little to do besides prepare the full score and decide section splits (and maybe add in some accents and crescendos that JW might have missed.)

I personally think John Williams' orchestrator does more than this. There's a big difference in style between the Herbert Spencer orchestrations and the stuff following it, specially in the "void" at the beginning of the 90s.

Btw, an British composer I know composed the music for a couple of Hollywood movies in the 70s. He said that "Hollywood rules" forced a composer to have an orchestrator even if that person isn't used (in cases where the composer orchestrate him/herself, which my fried did). Was it really like that? Or perhaps it still is like that?

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson

I based my original comment on a couple of his sketches that I saw photocopies of, in his own hand. Perhaps those were the exception rather than the rule; I don't know, but they were presented as being typical of JW's work (John Williams, not Jari Williamssom!) There were cues from Star Wars, Close Encounters, and one of the Indiana Jones movies, I think.

Christopher