Hi again,
Broadway composers/orchestrators are given direction from the producers; I
believe they are told about the style and the number of players. I don't know
if
producers get into exactly which instruments to use. The AFofM contract
specifies only the *number* of players, which relates to the particular (size
of)
theater. Every few years when the contract is re-negotiated, the producers try
(and succeed) in reducing the minimum-number requirements. Also they can
prepare a show and cite a "special situation" clause to try to go below the
minimum, and argue it in arbitration (some cases won, some lost). And yes,
there is
often a "cut list" so after the reviews are in and the album recorded, some
players are let go. The largest problem is the increasing use (or desire of the
producers for the use) of the "virtual-orchestra-machine" which is a
combination of a sampler, hard disk to record, and variable playback. Producers
want to
use this instead of paying for live musicians. The AFofM is trying to keep musi
cians working, naturally, and also see this machine as a perversion of the
artform (musical theater) to be disallowed: musical theater is live actors and
live musicians, the 2 basic components. Outside of this, I believe the union
has no problem with other choices in orchestration. Unfortunately, the public
has had years of listening to canned music and less and less music education in
the school systems; also they go to shows where the orchestra is no longer in
an open orchestra pit but covered or even in another room, and the sound is
mangled through a sound-board and the ineptness of incompetent
sound-technicians.

snip:
<<Message: 10