Dennis Bathory-Kitsz noted:

Editing such stuff is maddening when I've forgotten the tricks I've used.

and when working on a large document, especially one that I suspect I may need to revisit again in the future, I have taken to creating a "log" file, for the purpose of detailing exactly these tricks. Store the log file in the same folder as the finale files. Although now that I think about it, the only reason I can think of not to do this in the document itself is if the number and complexity of the tricks is such that you might exceed the size of the "text-block" subspace. If this is not the case, then why not define the very first pages of the document as a log, beginning with the actual document on such later page number (2, or 5, or ???) as needed?

Have to think about this some more.

ns