On 1 Jan 2005 at 7:55, Brad Beyenhof wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 06:39:45 -0500, dhbailey
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Michael O'Connor wrote:
> >
> > > http://www.lordoftherings.net/homevideo/frame_special_dvd.html?NoM
> > > ansExtndCu t
> >
> > When giving long URLs it is polite to also state what it begins with
> > and what it ends with in case it is divided onto two lines for
> > recipients of the message.
>
> Also helpful is http://tinyurl.com, which creates a smaller "shortcut
> URL" suitable for such situations.
>
> I set up a TinyURL (free, permanent, and easy) for the link in
> question: http://tinyurl.com/48jad

But might I request that if you to a TinyURL you also include the
original link. Why?

1. the original link tells you things about where you're going and
can help you decide if it's worth your time.

2. in archived discussions, the TinyURL may someday be invalid, while
the original URL (while also volatile) may give you enough
information to find the original information if it ends up being
moved elsewhere.