Randolph Peters / 05.1.1 / 05:45 PM wrote:
>On further reflection, the problem of crackling could be a streaming
>issue. Direct from disk using the Kontact engine (which GPO uses) is
>probably the culprit to bad sound. A different buffer size on the
>interface might help. Faster hard drives can help as well, although
>there is not a consistent relationship between disk speed and
>performance.

Oh, I see.  GPO uses Kontact streaming.  But if it is a data I/O issue
such as caused by sample library resides on the boot volume then I
believe you would get MAS buffer error instead of crackled sound, no?
Yes, bigger buffer size will help crackled sound problem since it
releases more CPU resources, but only when it really releases CPU.

MAS has buffer multiplier.  Prior to DP4.5, it had a serious thread
prioritizing issue on single proc machine.  This caused 128 x 4 saved CPU
much better than 1024 x 1 while multiplier was designed for multiple CA
instances so you are supposed to keep the multiplier number equals to
your CA instance, i.e., if you are using PCI-424 no matter how many I/O
boxes are connected to it, the CA instance is 1, theoretically.  DP4.5
fixed this problem.

>DP uses MAS and Audio Units (as well as VSTs if you use a third party
>audio wrapper).

Yes, but MAS AU wrapper does not allow multiple outputs.  How would you
use GPO under AU?  If VST, which VST wrapper is another question since
AudioEase has been releasing bug fixes very frequently these days.

Anyway, to narrow the issue, another question to the original poster is
that if this crackle problem is consistent with the number of notes being
played.  If crackle gets worse at dense passage, it just needs better
CPU, or separate GPO to a dedicated machine.  It's a lot easier to do
this way.

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>