These 50 small bio’s have be such a pleasure to read! Here is mine:

An amateur composer, arranger, and Finale user, I have resided in San Diego the past 58 years. I studied trumpet with Don Phillips at the old Thearle’s building. My high school band director, Bill Padelford, was my music mentor, and after graduating with a BA in music from SDSU, I replaced him as he eventually became the Superintendent of a HS District.

Ozzie Wissel helped me join ASCAP and publish 3 marches when my band performed for the first of 4 times at the Tournament of Roses Parade. I taught instrumental music for 15 years (marching & concert bands, jazz band, orchestra, theory, and even bagpipe band), before Proposition 13 was used as an excuse to remove music from the school day in my district. I also enjoyed adjudicating parade, field show, concert, solo & ensemble festivals, and guest conducting throughout Southern California (Wildwood Music Camp, San Diego Elementary Honor Band, etc.)

I left music for the private sector for 3 years, then returned to HS, teaching English and AVID for the past 20 years. And I just accepted early retirement.

For the past 14 years I have conducted (up to) a dozen trombonists in an ensemble named Boneafied Brass, who enjoy performing mostly for charity gigs throughout San Diego.

I have used FINALE sporadically since 2.0 on various MAC’s (currently a G4). I wrote my first symphony on 3.2. And for retirement, my wife got me a new Kurzweil 2661 and M BOX, whose possibilities I look forward to learning (help!). I am arranging some Baroque music that my very talented cousin in Montreal, Dr. Douglas Kirk, sends me for trombone choirs. And a friend in the Washington, DC area has been sending me some great jazz charts to re-score for a very talented big band leader, George Hipp.

I must second what I sense from many other posts: my greatest joy after my marriage, family and cat is the camaraderie and friendships with which my fellow-music makers bless me.

Gerry Kirk