hello,

my teacher also insisted on that (and we concurred). we used to called them
dominant ninth chords with tacit root.

From: "Christopher Smith"

> when I was a classical undergraduate, one of my theory teachers
> insisted that we call these chords "incV7b9" and "incV9" (incomplete
> dominants missing the root, with the third in the bass) so that we
> understood the function.

but i would extend the mentioned concept to this. i wouln't call an "altered
m7" as an "altered" since it became a dominant of the V (or II, VI or
whatever), and now it presents a dominant chord structure (that is, maj3rd
and min7th). so, just as an example, i would call II7/9(tacit root) to
F#halfdiminshed in a C major context. of course, that II7/9(tacit root) is
"working" as secondary (or auxiliary, you name it) dominant.

> But in jazz, while the viidim7 often resolves up a half step to I, the
> half diminished chord usually shows up as a predominant, moving down a
> fifth to a dominant7, so we prefer to think of it as an altered m7
> chord (from the predominant area), rather than as a diminished triad
> with a m7 (from the dominant area.)

granted.
> Yet old habits die hard, and many people from jazz still call it a
> half-diminished chord, and everyone understands, even if it is not
> functioning that way.

regards,
marcelo