Hi David,

I think the people who are blaming memory paging for the corruption
have a fundamental misunderstanding of the structure of a modern
operating system.

Just to be clear -- I'm not "blaming memory paging for the corruption" and I don't think anyone else here is either.

What I'm suggesting is that Finale stop using the same set of temp files for all open documents -- *that* is what's allowing the corruption to happen. Coda says this would cause a performance degradation. However, it would also cause a marked performance *boost* if temp files were stored in RAM, not on disk -- we know this from the OS 9 days, where everyone who knew what they were doing set up a RAM disk for temp files. This performance boost might well make up for the performance hit we'd take by preserving separate temp files for each open document.

RAM disks aren't a good idea in OS X, so it would be nice if Finale offered an option to simply store them in RAM. If there was insufficient physical RAM for this, OS X would simply swap out to disk, but then you'd be no worse off than we were before.

(Of course, they could also just fix the problem where the window handle/ID starts to map to the wrong Enigma Doc ID, but apparently that's easier said than done.)

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY