On 21 Jan 2005 at 15:43, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] / 05.1.21 / 00:52 PM wrote:

[]

 But I think that if the problem was solely due to an address bug, it
 would happen more often.  And problems with addressing is exactly what
 can happen during a page fault...(when the working set of pages of a
 process, which contains addressing information doesn't have enough
 physical memory...a page fault occurs....it the OS has enough memory
 to keep the working sets of all processes in physical memory there
 will be fewer page faults.)  Page faults don't occur very often.  Only
 when the system is stressed do they happen more frequently...the same
 goes for the Overwrite Bug.

A page fault in a working virtual memory subsystem will *never* result in the memory tables being corrupted so that pages get mixed up.

But I'm not talking about a working virtual memory subsystem...I'm talking about a stressed one...a working car still won't run if there isn't enough gas in it....and it will sputter on fumes. I understand what you are saying here...but even if the system is a well designed one..which it is, if resources aren't there, it won't work correctly.

So if you would, please humor me for a minute. It appears that you know a great deal about this and can shed some light on the problem which would be helpful. What happens in OS X when there aren't enough resources to keep all the necessary working sets up and running in Physical RAM which is where they need to be? It just doesn't make sense that it would be business as usual, there would have to be some fallout from all of this? And the system doesn't always just quit. I've read in the past about preferences being affected by these sorts of circumstances. So could it be that other data can also be affected or even the way that data is being accessed is being affected? Also, while the OS is UNIX based, it is quite different in many ways. Many of the differences lie in the way memory is dealt with. Which also makes me wonder if MM is using Unix programmers to make the transition or if they have hired people that are OS X programmers.

I'd like to hear what you think about this :-)

TIA,

-K

P.S...

Again, let me repeat that I've seen a mismatch between document window and content on Windows, so it probably has *nothing* to do fundamentally with OS X,

But what you are describing here is a bit different from what is going on with the Overwrite Bug on a Mac. :-)