dhbailey wrote:

Does anybody have a handy link to a list of the various transpositions relative to the various clefs? I know there is a horn method by Lorenzo Sansone which lists the transpositions utilizing clefs, but I don't have a copy of that book.

You only need to memorize the following clef sequence:

1. treble
2. alto
3. bass
4. mezzo-soprano
5. baritone
6. soprano
7. tenor

Each step up this sequence is equivalent to a transposition by one step on the staff, two steps up the sequence is equivalent to transposition by a diatonic third, three steps a fourth, four steps a fifth etc.. The sequence loops back to the beginning, so that treble clef is one step above tenor and so on. Whether the interval of transposition is major, minor, augmented, or diminished is determined by the key signature applied. Octave transpositions are ad lib.

Example: Given a piece in C in treble clef, to transpose it to D, read as if in alto clef and add two sharps.
Another example: Given a piece in f# minor in alto clef, to transpose it to a minor, read as if in mezzo soprano clef with no accidentals in the key signature.
Another example: Given a piece in Ab in soprano clef, transpose to D. Read as if in alto clef with a key signature of two sharps.

Daniel Wolf