Even in the culture-rich environment here in NYC, I don't find many opportunities to hear the people I like the best. I heard Stephane Grapelli, Chick Corea, Patti LaBelle, a few others I could afford. When am I going to be able to hear Bobby McFerrin? So recordings it is.

Crystal Premo
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Chuck Israels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: finale@shsu.edu
Subject: Re: [Finale] Live/Recorded
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:49:01 -0800

Thanks for asking, Crystal.

Not often any more. There was a time when what I do was part of the fabric of everyday culture. I used to play in places in NY where many people, New Yorkers of all stripes, and visitors from around the world, could, and did, come to hear the music in which I was involved. They needed it as part of their essential nourishment, and they understood and could digest the "language." That is no longer so, so I am paid and externally rewarded many times more for speaking English about music than I am in actually creating it, a sad turn of events, but one which I can't control without pandering to the present musical environment. So, recordings it is, most of the time, and even most of those are more or less vanity productions these days.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this situation.

Chuck