[EMAIL PROTECTED] / 05.1.30 / 01:44 AM wrote:
Think of it as "I'm going to allocate an hour
tomorrow morning to run errands"  I have assigned myself (much as the
OS assigns virtual memory to a process or app.... which is what VSize
represents in OS X) a specific amount of time to do these errands...I
may not use the whole time but this is what I have have set aside
based on what I think will be needed.

Right, so I'd think "now I have cloned myself (more physical RAM), "I can do the errands in half of the time I used to allocate", no?

You can do errands in half the time on the clock....but total time will be the same. Whether you have one person running an errand in an hour, or you have two people that can get the job done in 1/2 hour..the total time spent running the errands is still an hour...(if you had to pay 1 person for an hour's worth of work...or two people for a half hour's worth of work...you'd still be paying for an hour of work.)

The way I understand it is that even if you have more RAM that you have now put into the machine, the OS won't necessarily give more RAM to a given application or process. It will still allocate only what the application or process needs. It won't speed up how fast a task is completed because the machine will only run as fast as it can run under optimal circumstances (unless you add a faster processor too :-).) But it will seem that the machine is running faster with more RAM more of the time...because it won't slow down when the system starts running out of free physical memory.

Here is another good article...it is an older article based on OS 10.0 but the theory is basically the same.

<http://arstechnica.com/reviews/01q2/macos-x-final/macos-x-4.html>

By the way, I love how you explain things, not to mention you have solved
many of my long-time Finale puzzles for me before.  You must be a good
teacher :-)

Oh Hiro, these are very kind words...thank you. I sometimes feel that I'm not able to explain things clearly and I get frustrated so this makes me happy. I have coached swimming and taught skiing in the past but that is the only real teaching experience I have. But I loved those jobs very much!

I do know that you are a very accomplished teacher!! And you have added so much to this list for me too!

Thank you,

-Karen