On 30 Jan 2005 at 22:23, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

> At 09:37 PM 1/30/05 -0500, Raymond Horton wrote:
> >musicians are fighting an INFERIOR
> >product
>
> Can you quantify its inferiority? And how will your quantification
> stand up in another few years?
>
> I think that if inferiority is your argument, it won't be long before
> you'll be losing it (if not already).
>
> There's a cultural argument to make (the same one used to save family
> farms), but not much of a practical one, I'm afraid -- even today. The
> practical aspects of this argument are pretty much over. All you've
> got left is culture or nostalgia. (I'd go for culture because I'm not
> much for nostalgia.)

Given that you seem to place ZERO value on the contributions of live
musicians to performance, it's not surprising that you think this.

I, for one, think it unlikely that a synthesizer will *ever* be able
to "swing" like a live musician -- and I mean that term to apply in
classical as well as non-classical repertories. I think that the
rhythmic subtlety that a fine human musician brings to performance
can simply never be reduced to an algorithm that can be reproduced
electronically.

Will most people hear it?

Explicitly, no.

But my bet is that they could still tell that something was not quite
right, and that the live musician was in some unquantifiable way (to
them) better.

But you don't seem to place any value whatsoever on "swing" whereas I
consider it to be the most important thing a musician brings to
performance.