My sadness right now is about the fact that Dennis Bathory is so smart. And
no, I'm not being ironic.

In the course of these posts and the responses to them (now approaching
book-length), Bathory writes as fine and clear an exposition of the dilemma of
modern composition as has been made (and this is my field, so I know the
literature). His analysis of the economic, cultural, psychological and
educational
forces at work is spot on.

And out of this wonderful analysis comes...(wait for it)...a ridiculous,
draconian agenda.

So we have the sorry spectacle of otherwise intelligent Listers diving for
their history books to see if they will be allowed to "save" certain
composers--as if it made any difference whether you were an embryo or an infant
when
Bartok died.

Others make their way to the confessional to admit that they cannot measure
up to the strict protocols of the New Regime, and are wearily resigned to
spending their lives in the Ancient One--a purgatory from which no redemption
will
be granted.

I could absorb this with a lot more humor if the analogies with other
best-and-brightests leading us into intellectual catastrophe weren't so
obvious. You
can supply your own examples--there's no shortage of them.

--David A. Lawrence