Christopher Smith wrote:

To turn on normal optimisation in a piano group, you HAVE to be in scroll view if you have previously attempted to optimise.

Of course, otherwise you can't access the global staff list.

If you have NOT previously attempted optimisation, or if you have turned OFF the optimisation, you DON'T have to be in scroll view to turn on normal optimisation, as you CAN do it in page view.

...since each system gets its group info from the global staff list in this case.

That doesn't seem weird to you?

No.

Or at least counter-intuitive?

No.

Odder to me is that the "optimise normally" command in the Edit Group Attributes window APPEARS to work normally when you select it, but then when you go back to to check it, it has magically changed back to "optimise only when both staves are empty" without notifying you. It seems to me that if they don't want this feature to work when you have optimised and are in page view, then they should at least grey it out, or tell you that this won't work except in scroll view (which I still don't understand.)

The group attributes is connected to a specific staff list, which means that each opimized staff system has its own set of group attribute settings. You get the information about which staff list that will be affected in the "Group Attributes" dialog box in the field starting with "Staff List:" - which could say either "Global" or "Staff System [number]".

If you want a visual example how these things are connected, try to move a group bracket in Page View (if you're using a version earlier than Fin2004, you need to redraw the screen to see the real effect of it).
For an optimized system, only the bracket for that optimized system will move. For a non-optimized system, it will move the bracket for all non-optimized systems - and it will also affect the bracket in Scroll View.

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson