On Jan 31, 2005, at 9:07 AM, Robert Patterson wrote:

It is *never* a mistake to leave a computer system alone if it is stable and you are happy with how it works. At most you can say I may be missing out on some features I might like.

I side with Robert on this, though I also agree with those who say that different users have different needs. Just because I don't like to upgrade doesn't mean someone else isn't happy to upgrade frequently, and vice versa.

I'm not someone who wants to always do new and exciting things with my computer. I pretty much want to do the same things over and over. So long as the few products I'm using regularly are working, I'm happiest if I can leave the system alone and keep doing what I'm doing. The only time a problem arises is when some external factor requires me to upgrade something.

Those who enjoy upgrading and criticize those of us who don't tend to say, "the only reason you don't like it is because you're not used to it", as if that's a rebuttal. Well, yes, that's exactly why I don't like it -- because I'm not used to it. I like what I'm used to. What's wrong with that? I like having something that I know well. If you upgrade frequently, you never have time to get used to anything.

That said, I actually do like Mac OS X quite a bit better than its predecessor. For me that predecessor was OS 8. I resisted upgrading to 9, and then when I couldn't resist any longer (the old computer died and I had to get a new one), I jumped straight to OS X. Curiously, my main experience with OS 9 is running Finale 2k2 in Classic mode. (Yes, I've resisted upgrading Finale as well.)

mdl

P.S. Is it my imagination or has this list been unusually busy? I was away for a few days, and now I've got literally hundreds of messages in my Finale list mailbox.