In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Andrew Stiller
writes:
>I would agree that there is no hard-and-fast natural boundary between
>the dissonant and the consonant, and that culture plays a big role in
>drawing such arbitrary boundaries.

I hope that's the modern consensus.

>However, I would think that
>anyone, ever, from anywhere, would agree that a minor  second is much
>more dissonant than a perfect fifth, and that those two extreme
>intervals are absolutely dissonant and absolutely consonant
>respectively, and without regard to musical context.

Not in general.  Yes to the first, when the timbres are harmonic, and
the register is middle C - 1 to + 3 octaves.  Perceptual psychologists
have done experiments suggesting that a very low perfect fifth can be as
dissonant as a high minor second, and non-harmonic timbres can be
designed to make any interval sound as dissonant as you like.  The
perfect fifth is not a consonance on the metallophones of the gamelan.

Experiment also shows that the most dissonant interval between two sine
waves is register dependent and (IIRC) is 3/4 of a tone above top C.

--
Ken Moore
[EMAIL PROTECTED]