> As a
> trained (but not completed) musicologist, I would suggest two names
> that will be of great interest to scholars in 200 years because their
> music has touched so many people:  Paul McCartney (along with
> whatsizname), whose "throwaway" songs still won't go away 40 years
> later, and John Williams.  (Save the flames; I know you won't agree!)

No flames from me, John. The immense social and technological changes in the
'modern' era have meant that vastly more composers are heard by more people
than ever before and also that those with musical genius may be found
increasingly in what is now called popular music. These composers are the
ones who will be (correctly) remembered most prominently by history.

Richard Yates