On 9 Feb 2005 at 6:40, dhbailey wrote:

> Darcy James Argue wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >
> > Both a human and a pool-playing robot (like, say, Deep Green --
> > http://www.ece.queensu.ca/hpages/faculty/greenspan/) have to solve
> > exactly the same problem, which happens to be a problem of applied
> > physics.
> >
> > So one solves it with neurons and one solves it with silicon.  What
> > makes you so sure the process is so fundamentally different?
>
> Rather than simply calling it "solving it with neurons," the human is
> really solving it with knowledge based on experience gained from long
> periods of practice and the robot solves it with equations and
> numbers, none of which it gained from experience.  That the result may
> be the same in no way guarantees that the principles in the solving of
> the problem are the same.

A friend of mine who is a professional violinist and violin teacher
has explained to me the importance of physical memory for the solo
violinist in regard to intonation as opposed to "having a good ear."
The point is that hitting those notes accurately in a high position
is not something you do because you're using your ear to tune them --
it happens because you've developed the physical memory to hit them
on the nose without any thought or any need to adjust after the fact.