On Feb 9, 2005, at 11:40 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

On 9 Feb 2005 at 23:27, John Howell wrote:

At 10:55 PM -0500 2/9/05, David W. Fenton wrote:

Concerted Catholic church music in Mozart's days was invariably performed with trombones doubling the top 3 vocal parts, so I don't see any reason to limit the association to Lutherans.

Actually it's the bottom 3 vocal parts, but you're essentially correct. . ..

Wow! What a brain fart! I haven't a clue how I came up with the top 3, as I was think "alto, tenor and bass trombone!"

Maybe I need to hire a new typist. :)

Never mind my last post (teaches me to read ahead!)

The trombone is also associated with hell (as in Don Giovanni), an association that goes way back to at least the 16th century in Italy.

The trombone is also associated with heck among trombonists. ;-)

My favourite trombone moment is in Beethoven's 9th, where all the men in the choir combine with the bass trombone to sound like the voice of God. A clear case of typecasting. 8-)

Christopher