On Feb 9, 2005, at 4:20 PM, Mark D Lew wrote:

I assume that by "age of 150" you mean 150 years after birth*. When I wrote the first post I thought I had examples, but now that I do the math, I find the ones I had in mind went out of fashion around age 75-100 and thus don't meet your test. I'...

*At first I found it odd that you're counting age from the birth of the composer rather than the composition of the music, but now that I'm thinking of examples, the pattern does seem to work out that way, doesn't it? I wonder why that is.

People are taking this too literally. I only used the figure 150 because that's how old Janacek is, this year. I meant merely that "having sustained (and grown) a reputation for so long, a composer is unlikely subsequently to lose it." I stand by that assertion.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/