In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> David W.
Fenton writes:
>Plenty of music has meaning with absolutely no non-musical external
>references. We may not be able to verbalize exactly what that meaning
>may be, and we may not all agree on the exact meaning, but the
>meaning is, in fact, there in the music.

We must mean different things by meaning, which is not surprising: IIRC
the philosopher A J Ayer wrote a whole book called "The Meaning of
Meaning".  My favourite dictionary definition is "the sense intended".
Please explain how I should know what the composer intended without
extra-musical explanation.  What most music conveys to me, irrespective
of outside information and explanation, is an influence on my emotions,
but I know that it can influence other people very differently, even in
the opposite sense, without necessarily being bad music.

--
Ken Moore
[EMAIL PROTECTED]