I upgraded to every version of Finale from v1.0 thru Fin97. Since then I have
been upgrading about every other year: Fin00, Fin02, Fin03, and recently Fin05.
My reason for skipping was invariably that the benefits did not outweigh the
pain. (Fin04 had substantial benefits but also even worse pain for OS9 users.)

But in fact I have all the versions due to my plugin involvement. When I speak
of "upgrading" Finale, what I mean is that I actually used that version for my
own Finale work. And this is a significant distinction. I have much less
aversion to upgrading Finale because I am forced to understand each version's
idiosyncracies in such detail anyway. I usually know what I'm getting into. But
FWIW, I never start using a version for my own work until after the maintenance
release. I have followed that policy since long before plugins.