Hi all,

Finale 2004-2005 are *severely* under-optimized for OS X. Sibelius was the same way. Sib 2.x in OS X was a dog, but Sibelius 3.x actually runs faster under OS X than under OS 9 on identical hardware (at least, given a modern video card). Also, Sib 3.x under OS X is much faster than Sib 1.4 was under OS 9. It's not OS X, it's Finale.

However, Johannes is right that OS X requires a ton of physical RAM for optimum performance. 512 MB is the bare-bones minimum, and if you can spring for 1 GB, it makes a considerable difference.

If/when Finale finally gets around to taking advantage of OS X's advanced OpenGL support (as Sibelius does), so that some of the graphics processing is offloaded to the video card, we can look forward to features like instantaneous redraws, continuous smooth zooming in and out (instead of stepped zooming), and completely smooth scrolling, including the ability to scroll/drag the screen during playback with no interruptions. Plus considerably improved font smoothing compared to OS 9.

FinMac2004 and 2005 were "just get it to work in OS X" versions. Hopefully, FinMac2006 will be a "get it to work *well* in OS X" version.

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY