On Mar 2, 2005, at 3:48 AM, Jonathan Smith wrote:

This baffles me also. The 3 selection check boxes you get on 'copy and filter' put smart shapes and score expressions into the same category, therefore NOT allowing any real filtering. This destroys the whole idea of having a filter in the first place if you ask me - as you can't.

BTW, if you hold down opt and shift while in the edit menu you get to do the filter to a clip file, but this still doesn't give you the result of filtering out any score expression but leaving in the smart shapes.

You are absolutely right.

Another thing that I find confusing is the reference to the smart shapes (attached to measures) which is in the first check box and then the smart shapes (attached to notes) which is in the third check box, which you actually get into and can make selections from. What's the difference here?

I can explain this. Note-attached Smart Shapes are usually slurs, glisses, trills, etc, which are similar to articulations or note-attached text expressions for me. Measure-attached Smart Shapes are hairpins, which is what one usually wants to copy along with measure-attached text expressions, however not brackets, pedal markings, 8va signs, which are the other measure-attached Smart Shapes. Perhaps there should be a separate option to "copy hairpins" rather than all measure-attached Smart Shapes.

I reckon Make Music has made an error in this menu item, because if you highlight a measure with Mass Mover and go to Mass Edit menu to select 'Copy Measure Items' you get to select all the different items from the lists under both Measure Items and Entry Items - something I use a lot when copying music across staves within the same file (in fact I would love this selection to be enabled and 'saved' as a preference...and yes, I've requested it to MM many times!)). I believe that this should happen under the filter menu choice but doesn't - probably a bug.

Another annoyance, one which I have written up to MM, contains a similar fault when you use metatool 2 (explode music) with Mass Mover. You'll get staff expressions and slurs that go across to the 'expolded parts but not any hairpins - strange, but a bug also I think?

This is one of the reasons TG Tools takes the place of the Finale built-in functions. If I would have this kind of fussiness to deal with afterwards, I use TG Tools instead, which saves me mucho time.

Christopher