On 3 Mar 2005 at 14:29, Simon Troup wrote:

> > I don't think ethical refusal to accept victimware is neglect. My
> > and my clients' scores are too important to me to entrust to a
> > corporation's ill will
>
> I think you're arguing along your own agenda regardless of what I
> write.

I resent your clear implication that there's something wrong with
people who don't upgrade to the latest version. That attitude
probably represents the annoyance it causes you when your clients
don't keep up with you, but it certainly doesn't represent reality.

There are good reasons to not upgrade, the most important being:

The program does EVERYTHING I want to do exactly the way I want to do
it, and exactly the way I expect and know how to accomplish things.

In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yes, there are often advantages to upgrading, but they often are not
proportional to the cost of the upgrades.

And upgrades often have downsides, too.

Choosing to avoid the risk of the downside and saving the money and
sticking with a familiar version of the program are all completely
rational reasons for not upgrading.

I just don't see the value of upgrading to every new version of
Finale (I upgrade about every 3 versions). But that's not to say that
other people who use Finale differently than I do will *not* see the
value. I also don't collaborate with other people, so backwards
conversion simply isn't an issue for me (and I suspect I'm in the
majority on that one).

Indeed, I am prejudiced to believe that it's more irrational to
quickly jump to new versions of application software than it is to
stay with older versions, because of 15 years of observing software
upgrades in any number of classes of application. The conservative
user who skips upgrade almost always ends up with better value and
productivity in the long run than the one who is constantly upgrading
and encountering all the problems of change (not even mentioning
bugs).