Hi John,

The *notation* for compound chords isn't confusing, and your suggestion:

C chord
-------------
Bb7 chord

is both redundant *and* confusing.

It's only the fact that Roger's particular compound chord is functionally equivalent to a standard chord (and is better written as a standard chord) that's the problem here. Compound chord notation itself is absolutely standard, widespread, and universally understood by halfway competent players. There is absolutely no need to write things like:

A/Bb bass

Or:

A chord
-----------
Bb chord

Everybody who has the slightest clue about chord symbols knows the difference between:

A/Bb

and

---
Bb

Anything else is just redundant clutter. No major jazz publisher uses anything except the nomenclature I just described.

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY